Sunday, February 14, 2010

Self-Care Sunday


So as part of this blog of making a better and healthier you, I have decided to have some themes for the day so that you can get your daily dose of self awareness, health, and mental stability. Today's is obviously "Self-Care Sunday"

Self-Care simply defined is the actions that you take to invest in yourself and maintain your physical and mental health.

For many this may include a hobbie, interest, sport, exercise, activity, or what have you.

Today I thought I would cover one of my favorite Self-care activities. The self-care activity that always calms me, inspires me, and centers me is reading. I like to read just about everything. I love books of every genre. I love non-fiction psychological books but I also love a sappy love story with a mysterious twist. I would highly recommend if you are a reader of all things literature like I am that you try this today to take care of yourself.

1. Get a book that you would really like to read or one of your old favorites that you could read a thousand times. You could also choose a magazine that is a guilty pleasure or something like this.

2. Get a beverage that pleases you. For me, this is Starbuck's Iced Coffee.

3. Get a healthy snack or a moderate amount of a less healthy option (For me, it's either edamame or dark chocolate)

4. Put on soothing music if you like background noise or get in the quietest part of your house if you are a silent reader. For me, it's quiet and that means no tv, no music, no husband, etc...

5. Find a comfortable place to sit or lay down and get your favorite blanket, most comfortable outfit, and make sure the temperature suits you well. In my house this is my amazing leather couch, yoga pants and a tank top, and a little cool breeze coming in from the open window.

6. For your mental health break, set a timer of an amount of time that you wouldn't mind using on this and make sure it isn't too short to not enjoy and isn't too long to make you feel guilty. I usually set my timer for about 1.5 hours.

7. Get lost in your book. I like to take a stroll down the streets of Whistlestop, head over to Diagon Alley, or even wind my way through the pathways of the brain. You decide what makes you feel relaxed.

** I love the picture that is on this blog. Often I feel just like this woman...embraced by the words on the page. Books have been my friends for years. If you have never enjoyed reading, I suggest you give it another chance and if you love reading like I do, feel free to use the comments section to suggest books for other readers and myself.

Take care of yourself and live healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment