Thursday, December 23, 2010

Truly Grateful


I have noticed lately that a lot of people in my life and around me are suffering. Some have recently lost family members to cancer, car accidents, tragic circumstances, and the like. Others in my life have lost jobs and been on unemployment for long periods of time. Some in my life have lost children or are battling infertility. Others are just lonely and longing for a special someone to spend their life with. When looking around at all of this, it is easy to get into a funk.

I think that overall, we would be happier people if we were able to be truly grateful for what we have. I know it's easier said than done so today's post is giving you some simple tips to be more grateful in your life.

1. Realize your true worth:

A lot of us think that if we just get some more money, we will be happier. The truth is, we are already some of the richest people in the world. Head on over to

Global Rich List.

and type in your current annual income and it will tell you in what percentage of the world's RICH you are. We are not doing very well in my house currently but I came up in the top 12% of the world. That is a pretty easy way to quickly see how truly rich you are. Remember that some countries do not have the simple luxury of clean drinking water.

2. Living in a peaceful country is nothing to sneeze at!

Can you imagine living in a city that is constantly bombarded by bombs? I am sure that if you ask a United States Marine who has been deployed, they will tell you that it isn't the same as the peaceful streets of America. Take a moment today to realize how lucky you are to live in this great country.

3. Maintain a "great things" list

Keep a small journal listing all of the ways you are feeling blessed each day and read it when you feel a little down in the dumps. I bet your gratefulness meter skyrockets!

4. Make gratitude a defined part of your day

A great exercise that my husband and I sometimes do at night is talk about how blessed we are. It helps to realize when you have had a difficult day, week, month, year, ...heck life that you have daily blessings of people loving and supporting you, a smile from a nice customer, or even just having each other in that moment. Take time each day to give gratefulness a try!

5. Focus on giving

This is the best way I have found to be grateful. When you focus each day on finding people you can give to, it is so powerful for your attitude and gratefulness in life. This does not just include money or food but also time, talents, compliments, affirmation, and sometimes even just a listening ear. I try to start my day this way and God gives me tons of opportunities to give. If I step out and take them, I feel great! :)

Today I am grateful for all of my readers/followers. They make my life more full and happy and I appreciate each of you that stop by!

Merry Christmas Eve Eve! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment