Thursday, July 15, 2010

Self Care Sunday 7/11/2010

A great way to do self care and really be an overall healthy person is to find a hobby/interest that you enjoy and invest time in that hobby. For me, it is scrapbooking and for my husband it is playing his guitar. These things help calm us, center us, and help us feel a sense of accomplishment.

Today I am going to help you if you haven't found a hobby or interest that suites you. Here are some considerations to make when choosing a hobby.

1. Time: How much time do you have to devote to a hobby? Do you have 1-2 hours per week or 1-2 hours per day? This will make a big difference in what hobby you choose. If you only had an hour a week, you would not choose a hobby that requires a lot of your time.

2. Money: How much money do you have to invest into your hobby? If your budget is very limited, you would obviously not want to take on a hobby like learning to fly a plane as lessons are very expensive. You might choose a hobby like cake decorating or model cars as this would be affordable and might fit your budget better. Anything that costs more than you can budget becomes a secondary stress therefore not really helping your care for yourself.

3. Space: Do you have the space to do your hobby? For example, I love to scrapbook so I have a special place in my house where my supplies are stored and where I choose to scrapbook when I spend time on it.

4. Aptitude: It probably wouldn't be wise to choose a hobby that will not work for you. For example, if you are afraid of water, perhaps surfing isn't the hobby for you.

5. Follow Through: Choosing a hobby that you like enough to follow through with is the key issue. If you don't enjoy painting enough to pursue it often, it isn't the hobby to choose. Choose something you are passionate enough about to follow through with. My husband loves music and wants to entertain with it so he chooses to spend 30 minutes to an hour a day practicing his guitar. I love my niece, nephew, sisters, husband, etc..and I love being able to look through pictures and memories so my time spent on scrapbooking is well spent.

6. Research: Have you spent adequate time finding out all of the tools and resources that you will need to pursue this hobby. When I started scrapbooking I had no idea how many awesome tools were out there but as I learn more, I get more and more excited about my hobby but if you need many more tools and resources than you have, this can be frustrating.

7. ONE AT A TIME: It is most helpful to pursue one hobby at a time so that it isn't just another unfinished project to make you feel stressed and bad about yourself. Give yourself time to really enjoy and get good at what you choose.

Happy Hobby Picking!


No comments:

Post a Comment