Thursday, July 15, 2010

Talk it Out Tuesday 7/13/2010

So the other day I was watching a children's movie with a few of my favorite kids and my husband and realized that in the first 10 minutes of the film, one of the characters was attempting suicide. I became very bothered by this scene and was troubled not just because that is a VERY adult issue but because I had seen this film before and did not notice that. It was when I was viewing it with children that it became apparent to me what was involved in the film.

It ended up that the movie actually spent quite a bit of time on the attempted suicide and I couldn't help but wonder what was going on in the children's heads that I was watching it with. They weren't my children so I couldn't discuss this very sensitive topic with them. I thought, this would make a very good Talk It Out Tuesday topic. I would love to open the floor to you guys and ask if you think children's films have too many adult issues and if so, can you name one that troubles you.

Mine was "The Incredibles." By the way, I really enjoyed the movie but the topic of suicide is very heavy for children. I would love to hear what you all think! Check in!

No comments:

Post a Comment