Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thirsty Thursday 7/15/2010

We have been talking about how to be truly happy over the last few weeks. Today my tip for being truly happy is ....

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

I think when we are down or having difficulties in life it is really hard to remember what we have in life that is wonderful. I have started something in our house that has been really affective. There are a few ways to do this exercise so I will give you some options.

The first one is "a thankfulness journal." Get yourself a journal that you really like and begin to take time each night before bed to write one simple thing that you are thankful for. It can be as small as "I have breath in my lungs and a beat in my heart." or it can be huge like "Today I was given a promotion at work." The idea is to realize that everyday there are things to be grateful for and thankful for and it makes us really focus on these things instead of life's irritants.

Another way to do this exercise is to build a "thankfulness box" What I did was take an old shoe box and covered it in pretty scrapbook paper and made a bunch of little slips of paper out of scrap paper left around. Each day I write something I am thankful for one slip of paper and so does Anthony. We put it into the box and leave it alone. Not only is the exercise of thinking of something to be grateful for helpful but then we wrap it up like a present for New Years and spend our New Years reflecting on all God has done for us.

It is really hard to not be happy when you realize all that you have in life..the people, the things, the opportunities, the talents, etc... Take a moment to count your blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I kind of just blogged about this...I love the part about a "thankfulness box" I'd love to implement that in our house. With everything going on between Tim and I, I think it would be a great exercise in the long term as far as seeing how far we've come. I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, I am so glad that you got something out of the blog and I pray that it makes everything seem a little lighter at your house!

    ReplyDelete